It appeared Tim Tebow would be given the opportunity to start when the Broncos tried to trade Kyle Orton to Miami. That deal died during the weekend when Orton couldn’t come to a contract accord with the Fins.
Days later, it seems like Orton is fully entrenched as Denver’s starter in 2011 (the final year of his contract) and Tebow will likely only get his chance to play if the Broncos struggle badly like last year when he took over for the final three games.
Orton has outplayed Tebow in camp thus far. On “SportsCenter” Wednesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said Orton is Denver’s starter and he will not be dealt this year. Reports out of Denver back that up. There’s even a chance Tebow could lose the backup job to Brady Quinn.
It’s early but all signs point to Tebow not being an impact player in 2011 and one has to wonder when he’ll ever be. Tebow has said he thrives on being counted out. Well, he has a lot of motivation. At this point, it might be the only thing he has going for him.
This is surprising news, especially with the way the Broncos shopped Orton this offseason. We wouldn't be shocked if this was a ruse to get Miami to up the ante. Of course, new HC John Fox stuck with a certain interception-prone QB in Carolina through thick and thin, so Orton could very well start 16 games this season.