Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 10:23am
Friday, May 4, 2012, 12:40pm
ESPN writer James Walker speculates about how the Patriots' WR corps will shake out:
Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Jabar Gaffney are locks. That leaves four roster spots, at most, for receivers. Deion Branch is in because he's a solid veteran who knows the offense well. I think you also keep Matthew Slater as the No. 7 receiver, mostly due to the fact he's a Pro Bowler on special teams and a team captain. The final two spots are really up in the air. I think Chad Ochocinco, Anthony Gonzalez and Donte Stallworth all have a realistic chance. Julian Edelman looks like the definite odd man out following the Gaffney signing.
Edelman is a versatile player who can return kicks and even play some defensive back if necessary. It's going to be interesting to see how the Patriots WR corps shakes out, but versatility is key for those players on the roster bubble.
WR Jabar Gaffney told Josina Anderson of ESPN that he will be signing a deal with the Patriots soon. Gaffney played for the Pats from 2006-2008, catching 85 passes for 1,059 yards and eight touchdowns. His production spiked after leaving New England, he has 187 catches over the last three years, but he was a reliable target for Tom Brady when he was in New England.
The Patriots have added Brandon Lloyd, Donte’ Stallworth and Anthony Gonzalez to a receiving group that already included Deion Branch, Chad Ochocinco and Julian Edelman. Wes Welker will also be back, whether he signs his franchise tender or a long-term deal, and that makes for a crowded depth chart.
The NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the deal is for two years.
Friday, March 23, 2012, 11:05am
"Ochocinco will be back in New England next year," Schefter says in the video above. "They believe that he'll spend this offseason immersing himself in the playbook, familiarizing himself with the Patriots' offense. They're going to bring all these wide receivers in and let them compete in training camp and the best receivers will play."
Friday, January 6, 2012, 3:34pm
Colts owner Jim Irsay, though, sees a tough road ahead.
“Clearly we are in a rebuilding stage, there is no sugar-coating the fact that there are areas of talent that we need,” Irsay said earlier this week.
“So the decisions that are coming up are crucial, and obviously, when you’re looking at general manager, head coach, having the number one pick in the draft and knowing that you’re rebuilding in some areas, that is about as massive as it gets. But we are up for the challenge, and I’m excited about the future.”
Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Anthony Gonzalez are now free agents. Wayne wants to come back but may price himself too high for the Colts to make a deal. Garcon reportedly wants look around before deciding on whether to come back or not. Gonzalez, meanwhile, found himself on the outside looking in during the last couple of seasons under the Polians’ regime.
Friday, December 30, 2011, 8:09pm
Friday, October 28, 2011, 6:15pm
Friday, October 21, 2011, 6:28pm
Thursday, October 20, 2011, 7:07pm
Wednesday, September 7, 2011, 8:14pm
Tuesday, August 30, 2011, 10:35pm
Colts Anthony Gonzalez has achieved one of his preseason objectives, just not the most critical one.
Heading into training camp last month and in the final year of his contract, the Indianapolis Colts receiver's approach was to embrace and maximize the moment.
"I told myself that as long as I'm here, I'm going to enjoy myself," Gonzalez said Tuesday. "I was going to do everything I could to help this football team. I felt I had a really good camp. The coaches expressed that."
Gonzalez leaned against a wall outside the Colts' locker room and looked at his right leg.
"It's just that I've got this little hamstring injury and they tend to linger for receivers," he said.
It's possible Gonzalez's most recent injury could be the one that ends his association with the Colts.
- Page 1