Dynasty Exclusive: The Late Season Pickup Game
Jake Locker" height="380" src="/images/2011/content/dynasty_locker.jpg" width="700" />
By Eric Dickens, Guest Contributor from DynastyLeagueFootball.com
Eric is a Senior Contributing Analyst for DynastyLeagueFootball.com and the voice of DLF on Twitter (@DLFootball). DLF is a great source for dynasty league fantasy football information, strategy and conversation in their active discussion forums.
Sometimes the difference between success and defeat is timing. Playing dynasty/keeper fantasy football is no different. With limited rosters and competitive owners, late-season waiver wire pickups or “buy-low” trade acquisitions can set you up for future success. Just ask the owner that picked up Arian Foster after his 2009 week 15 breakout...or the owner who traded for Fred Jackson prior to this season for next to nothing. Timing is everything.
This article will cover a couple of different types of players to target in dynasty/keeper leagues. Those who may be sitting out there on your waiver wire, just waiting for a savvy owner to come by and swoop them up…or a player that could be picked up cheaply via trade, either now or prior to next season.
QB's To Throw On Your Roster
- Josh Johnson (2012 FA) - Prior to the 2011 season, there was quite a bit of speculation that free agency could lead to a reunion of sorts with Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco. Alex Smith has quieted those rumors thus far, but Johnson may get a shot somewhere next season competing for a starting job.
- Mike Kafka (PHI) - With backup QB Vince Young set to become a free agent at the end of the season, Kafka inherits the job in Philly for now. Vick hasn't shown he can stay on the field which means Kafka may get some quality minutes next year.
- Brian Hoyer (2012 RFA) - When the Patriots drafted Ryan Mallet earlier this year, Hoyer became a forgotten man to many. He will be a restricted free agent in 2012 which means he could very likely find himself back on the Pats roster, but if not several teams would be interested.
- Kyle Orton (2012 FA) - Chances are he's not available through your waiver wire, but in some leagues he may have been dismissed prematurely after Tebow took over in Denver. He is set to become a free agent, but may be re-signed by the Chiefs to compete with Cassel next season.
- Matt Flynn (2012 FA) - There is a .0001 percent chance he's on a dynasty league waiver wire. That being said, he could still be undervalued by an owner stashing him at the end of their roster. He will probably be given an opportunity as a starter next year and would be an attractive option to go after via trade.
- Jake Locker (TEN) - Another QB that won't be found on waivers, but due to lack of playing time this season may be had for cheap. Hasselbeck turns 61 next season and could take a backseat role sooner rather than later.
RB's To Run & Grab
4for4 Premium Content
There's more, but it's available only for 4for4 subscribers.
If you are a current subscriber, please login here