Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who underwent back surgery in December but has been participating in training camp, won't play in Thursday's preseason opener against the Chargers.
“We've talked about it a little bit, and we're going to be smart,” Romo said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Charean Williams. “… Most likely I'll probably sit out the San Diego game and play in Game 2 and go from there.”
Last week, owner and general manager Jerry Jones announced that Romo was "100 percent" recovered from the surgery, but Jones also said the team was "that close" to drafting Johnny Manziel, a revelation that may or may not be true. Either way, Romo, 34, won't be on the field when the Cowboys face the Chargers, which means we'll get our first look at backups Brandon Weeden and Caleb Hanie.